The Yale College Fellowship for Research in Health Studies Program provides support for original undergraduate research projects in health studies, including study of the social, political, economic and biological determinants of health. Currently enrolled freshmen, sophomores and juniors are eligible to apply.
Further information about eligibility, proposal development, and application requirements are provided in the full application instructions. An informational session will be held on January 30, 2013 from 4-5:30PM at 55 Whitney Avenue, Room 369.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to submit a pre-application even if you have not finalized your plans or secured final approval from your proposed mentor or host country contact(s). Pre-applications may be submitted via email to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org by February 1, 2013.
The pre-application should include the following:
- Project tentative title
- Name and affiliation of proposed mentor
- Name and affiliation of host country contact(s), if different from proposed mentor
- Other fellowships for which the student is applying to support the proposed research
- A one paragraph description of the proposed research and its objectives
- A brief description of the language to be used during the proposed research project and the student’s level of ability in it
Applications for summer 2013 support must be submitted online through the Student Grants & Fellowships database by February 19, 2013.
Applications should include the following:
- A description of the proposed research project, including the research and training objectives, and how these will prepare the applicant for further study in his or her field of interest.
- A proposed project budget.
- A copy of the applicant’s transcript (an “unofficial” copy or academic record printed from the web or obtained in your residential college dean’s office is sufficient) and a description of relevant experience.
- A completed copy of the OFP Language Proficiency Evaluation Form.
- A list of other fellowships for which the applicant has applied or intends to apply.
- A sealed, confidential evaluation from the proposed mentor, including evaluation of the qualifications and potential of the student, the scholarly and pedagogic merits of the proposed project, and a detailed plan for the supervision of the project.
- If mentor is a Yale faculty member who will not be accompanying the student during the project period, a letter of support from the in-country institution or institutions where the project will be carried out.
- Up to one additional recommendation addressing the applicant’s qualifications for the proposed project.
- Satisfactory completion of web-based Human Subjects Training accessed through Yale’s Human Subjects Committee website.
To submit your materials you will have to register for the fellowship, however you will not have to print out a copy of the registration cover sheet. Instead, after you complete your registration you will be prompted to visit the “upload” site, through which you will upload your application materials. You may visit the upload site at any time prior to the submission deadline from a link on your “My Interests” page.