Sheffield Society Research Fellowship
Heywood Fellowship for the Physical Sciences
The Yale College Dean’s Research Fellowship, the Sheffield Society Undergraduate Research Fellowship and the Heywood Fellowship for the Physical Sciences provide fellowships to support original undergraduate research projects that cannot be supported through other programs or faculty research grants. A total of 80 awards were made in summer 2015.
Stipend support of $3440-$4300 is granted for 8-10 weeks of summer research (which should be consecutive and full-time, with no other commitment, such as employment or courses) under the supervision of a Yale University faculty member. Currently enrolled sophomores and juniors proposing research in the natural sciences, engineering, mathematics and computer science are eligible to apply.
Science Fellowships Information Sessions
- Friday, October 14 at 3:00 p.m., SSS Room 405
- Monday, November 7 at 11:00 a.m., SSS room 410
- Thursday, December 8 at 11:00 a.m., SSS room 410
Workshop: Writing a Proposal for Science Fellowships
- Wednesday, December 14 at 11:00 a.m., SSS room 405 (Please note room change)
- Friday, January 27 at 3:00 p.m., SSS Room 410
Application deadline is Monday, March 6, 2017
*Applications must be submitted online through the Student Grants & Fellowships database http://studentgrants.yale.edu/
Applications should include the following materials for summer 2017:
- A description of the proposed research project.
- A copy of the applicant’s transcript. An unofficial transcript is acceptable.
- A CV/resume, including a description of relevant experience.
- A recommendation letter from the proposed Yale faculty mentor, including evaluation of the qualifications and potential of the student, the scholarly and pedagogic merits of the proposed project, the student’s role in the development of the proposal, and a detailed plan for the supervision of the project. In addition, the proposed mentor should include a summary of current grant support and the potential availability.