In addition to support available from faculty research grants and other departmental and interdepartmental programs (see Yale Undergraduate Research home page), more than a dozen individual fellowship programs are available for the support of undergraduate research projects.
Fellowships administered through the Office of Science and Quantitative Reasoning:
- Beckman Scholars Program
Provides research expense and stipend support for one academic year and two summers for selected undergraduates in the biological and biomedical sciences (participating departments: MCDB, MB&B, Chemistry, Biomedical Engineering, Ecology & Evolutionary Biology).
- Rosenfeld Science Scholars Program
Provides support for undergraduate research with a Yale faculty member in the natural sciences, engineering, mathematics and computer science.
- Tetelman Fellowship for International Research in the Sciences
Provides support for original undergraduate research projects abroad in the natural and applied sciences.
- Yale College Dean’s Research Fellowship
Provides support for a limited number of undergraduate research experiences in the summer after sophomore or junior year.
- Yale College First-Year Summer Research Fellowship in the Sciences and Engineering
Provides support for undergraduate research in the sciences and engineering in the summer after the first year.
Other fellowship opportunities:
Alexander P. Hixon Fellowship Supports Yale international undergraduate students pursuing summer travel within the United States for research, independent projects, or unpaid/low-paid internships.
- BioMed SURF BioMed SURF is a research-intensive summer training program in biomedical research for undergraduate students who are members of underrepresented minorities (URM) and plan to obtain a Ph.D. in the biomedical sciences.
- CRISP Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) Program Provides students with the opportunity to conduct team-based interdisciplinary materials research through both academic year and summer research opportunities for undergraduate students.
- Edward A. Bouchet Fellowship Program
The Bouchet Fellowship is designed to increase the number of minority students and others with a demonstrated commitment to eradicating racial disparities, who will pursue PhDs and subsequent careers in academia.
- Environmental Internship Program
Provides support for summer research projects and internships relating to environmental issues.
- Mellon-Mays Undergraduate Fellowship Program
The Fellowship allows students to work on paid research projects during the academic year, and to pursue full-time research during the summers between sophomore and junior years, and between junior and senior years.
- Michael Manzella Fellowship
Provides support for summer projects in cancer-related research.
- NIH-NIDDK/KUH Summer Research Opportunity Prepares undergraduates students who are interested in developing careers as scientific investigators in biomedical research. Additional info here.
- Sigma Xi Grants-in-Aid of Research
Support student research with awards for supplies, equipment or travel to a research site.
- SRO (Summer Research Opportunities) in Economics
Provides selected students with the opportunity to participate in the ongoing research of Yale faculty in Economics.
- Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) Program
Provides selected students with eight weeks of research and mentoring designed as preparation for graduate school.
- Summer Undergraduate Math Research at Yale (SUMRY) Program designed to promote research in mathematics and the mathematical sciences among Yale undergraduates.
- Yale College Dean’s Research Fellowship in the Humanities and Social Sciences Provides a limited number of fellowships to support strong original undergraduate research projects.
- Yale College Fellowship for Research in Health Studies
Provides support for original undergraduate research projects in health studies.
- Yale Summer Medical & Dental Education Program Provides an intensive six week exposure to science, clinical medicine, and career counseling for motivated college students and graduates who want to attend medical school.
- Yale Science and Engineering Association Undergraduate Research Grants
Provide support for independent undergraduate research projects during the academic year.
- Churchill Scholarship Churchill Scholarships support one-year postgraduate degree courses at the University of Cambridge in engineering, mathematics, or the sciences.
- Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship Goldwater Scholarships support study ibn the fields of mathematics, engineering and the natural sciences as preparation for research careers in these areas.
For information on other Yale-administered Fellowship Programs, please see the Yale Student Grants and Fellowships database.