With more than 1,200 science and engineering labs in over 45 degree-granting programs, Yale University offers a remarkably diverse array of research opportunities. In addition to the many research opportunities in Yale College, undergraduates enjoy access to the research laboratories of faculty in Yale’s graduate and professional degree-granting programs in the Yale School of Medicine and Yale School of Forestry and Environmental Studies.
Many Yale science and engineering departments include research as an integral part of the course of study, and students will find departmental faculty research programs an invaluable resource. While students will often pursue research within the department of their major, either summer or academic year research may also be conducted in the laboratories of faculty in other Faculty of Arts and Sciences departments or in departments of Yale Professional Schools. The links below provide access to descriptions of research opportunities in departments and programs of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences and Professional Schools; either the linked undergraduate program description or the departmental home page will normally provide links to faculty research descriptions. A good place to start the search for a research opportunity is Undergraduate Research at Yale, an informative site not only about research at Yale but also PIs, labs, and other sources, and YURA Research Database, a comprehensive directory of Yale faculty research across all disciplines, and our 2019 slideshow from the faculty - student matchmaking sessions where faculty gave 2 minute talks on their research.
Faculty of Arts and Sciences Departments and Programs
- Anthropology, Department
- Applied Physics, Undergraduate Studies
- Astronomy, Department
- Biology (see Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology, Ecology and Evolutionary Biology)
- Biomedical Engineering, Undergraduate Studies (see also Engineering)
- Chemical Engineering, Undergraduate Studies (see also Engineering)
- Chemistry, Undergraduate Studies
- Computer Science, Department
- Earth and Planetary Sciences
- Ecology & Evolutionary Biology, Department
- Electrical Engineering, Undergraduate Studies (see also Engineering)
- Environmental Engineering, Undergraduate Studies (see also Engineering)
- Environmental Studies Program
- Mathematics, Department
- Mechanical Engineering, Undergraduate Studies (see also Engineering)
- Molecular Biophysics & Biochemistry, Undergraduate Studies
- Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology Undergraduate Studies
- Physics, Undergraduate Studies
- Statistics and Data Science
Undergraduate Research in Yale University Professional Schools
Yale University Professional Schools offer many research opportunities to our undergraduates, with hundreds of professional school faculty performing basic scientific research.