In addition to support available from faculty research grants and other departmental and interdepartmental programs (see Yale Undergraduate Research home page), more than a dozen individual fellowship programs are available for the support of undergraduate research projects.
Fellowships administered through the Office of Science and Quantitative Reasoning:
- Beckman Scholars Program
Provides research expense and stipend support for one academic year and two summers for selected undergraduates in the biological and biomedical sciences (participating departments: MCDB, MB&B, Chemistry, Biomedical Engineering, Ecology & Evolutionary Biology).
- Tetelman Fellowship for International Research in the Sciences AND the Robert C. Bates Summer Traveling Fellowship Provides support for original undergraduate research projects abroad in the natural and applied sciences.
- Yale College Dean’s Research Fellowship in the Sciences AND Rosenfeld Science Scholars Program
Provides support for undergraduate research with a Yale faculty member in the natural sciences, engineering, mathematics and computer science in the summer after sophomore or junior year.
- Yale College First-Year Summer Research Fellowship in the Sciences and Engineering
Provides support for undergraduate research in the sciences and engineering in the summer after the first year.
Other fellowship opportunities:
• Alexander P. Hixon Fellowship
Supports Yale international undergraduate students pursuing summer travel within the United States for research, independent projects, or unpaid/low-paid internships.
• BioMed SURF
BioMed SURF is a research-intensive summer training program in biomedical research for undergraduate students who are members of underrepresented minorities (URM) and plan to obtain a Ph.D. in the biomedical sciences.
• CRISP Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) Program
Provides students with the opportunity to conduct team-based interdisciplinary materials research through both academic year and summer research opportunities for undergraduate students.
• DAAD RISE Germany – Research Internships in Science and Engineering
Offers summer research internships with research groups at German universities and research institutes.
• Edward A. Bouchet Fellowship Program
The Bouchet Fellowship is designed to increase the number of minority students and others with a demonstrated commitment to eradicating racial disparities, who will pursue PhDs and subsequent careers in academia.
• Environmental internship Program
Provides support for summer research projects and internships relating to environmental issues.
• Mellon-Mays Undergraduate Fellowship Program
The Fellowship allows students to work on paid research projects during the academic year, and to pursue full-time research during the summers between sophomore and junior years, and between junior and senior years.
• Michael Manzella Fellowship
Provides support for summer projects in cancer-related research.
• NIH-NIDDK/KUH Summer Research Opportunity
Prepares undergraduate students who are interested in developing careers as scientific investigators in biomedical research.
• Sigma Xi Grans-in-Aid of Research
Supports student research with awards for supplies, equipment or travel to a research site.
• SRO (Summer Research Opportunities) in Economics
Provides selected students with the opportunity to participate in the ongoing research of Yale faculty in Economics.
• Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) Program
Provides selected students with eight weeks of research and mentoring designed as preparation for graduate school.
• Summer Undergraduate Math Research at Yale
Program designed to promote research in mathematics and the mathematical sciences among Yale undergraduates.
• Yale College Dean’s Research Fellowship in the Humanities and Social Sciences
Provides a limited number of fellowships to support strong original undergraduate research projects.
• Yale College Fellowship for Research in Health Studies
Provides support for original undergraduate research projects in health studies.
• Yale Summer Medical & Dental Education Program
Provides an intensive six week exposure to science, clinical medicine, and career counseling for motivated college students and graduates who want to attend medical school.
• Yale Science and Engineering Association Undergraduate Research Grants
Provides support for independent undergraduate research projects during the academic year.
- Churchill Scholarship Churchill Scholarships support one-year postgraduate degree courses at the University of Cambridge in engineering, mathematics, or the sciences.
- Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship Goldwater Scholarships support study ibn the fields of mathematics, engineering and the natural sciences as preparation for research careers in these areas.